Wednesday, April 11, 2012

ToT - Day One

It seems strange to have a post that starts at "Day One" when I've already had one. Clearly, I was unable to keep up my effort to chronicle my training for the 2012 WDW Marathon. Fact: It already happened. Fact: I completed it. Fact: There was a very short time around mile 18/19 where I thought I might give up. Those thoughts are always very brief for me because the thought of ending a race with a DNF is pretty much unbearable. I was in the choir at the Passion 2012 conference and it was amazing - just not for marathon purposes. I had been on my feet for close to a week (not to mention bouncing and dancing around) and then two days later headed down to Orlando. Instead of the balls of my feet hurting at like mile 17, I was hurting around mile 6. Lesson learned.

Ah, well. Bygones. It is time to move on to the actual point of this post... The Tower of Terror 10-Miler!!

As soon as this race was announced, I knew I was going to run it. A) It's at night and I have yet to experience a WDW night race. B) I will receive an inaugural medal (and let's be real, I am ALL about the medals). C) If I can have a reason to head down to Orlando, I'm there.

Bonus: The Little Mermaid standard rooms at the new Art of Animation resort open September 15, and the race is September 29. New resort stay, anyone? I think YES. OH, and reason D... the Disney Villains Hollywood Bash that occurs after the race. Late night rides in Hollywood Studios? Don't mind if I do.

Training-wise I'm currently going to be running 30 minutes on Tuesday/Thursday and no more than 3 or 4 miles on Saturdays. I'm in the process of figuring out all of my IT band issues. I went for a run recently and only felt a slight bit of tightness and virtually no pain which means... TADA! The stretches and strengthening exercises I've been doing are working! I have a foam roller on the way and I can't wait to try it out. I'm thinking I will enjoy it much more than using my Nalgene...

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I'll just be doing yoga for now. I will potentially add in some other type of exercise, but for now I'm trying to take it easy and treat my body nicely. At the end of May I'll be starting one of the official Jeff Galloway training plans specific to the 10-miler. This works unusually well for me, because it coincides almost perfectly with the training I need to do for the Peachtree Road Race on July 4.

Today, Day One (for me), is a yoga day. Not much to report on that except that I dadgum love me some yoga.

I'm officially registered for the 10-Miler and the Peachtree and I am raring to go. Nothing like the spark of a registration to jumpstart your training!

83 days until the Peachtree!
170 days until the 10-miler!

No comments:

Post a Comment