Thursday, August 25, 2011

Days 1 & 2

This blog is going to serve as a log of my training for my second marathon at Walt Disney World. It's currently hidden to everyone except me, but who knows... maybe at the end of it all I'll make it unhidden and some very bored person can read 130-something days of entries.

I guess I'm technically training for the Atlanta Half Marathon right now, and then I'll be training for the Disney Full Marathon after that's over. Regardless, this will be much more training than I ended up doing for my first marathon (which turned out to be okay). I hadn't run a long run of over 6 or 7 miles going into the 2011 marathon, which was stupid. The only reason I was okay is because I HAULED walking because I wasn't allowed to run anyway, due to a mean case of bronchitis. I was too stubborn to go back on my goal of finishing, and managed to cross the finish line 8 minutes before the 7 hour time limit was up. My goal for 2012? To train hard and finish well.

I'm particularly hoping to get a decent time at the Atlanta Half, which is on Thanksgiving, to prove to myself that I can do well. Okay, I also want to email it into Disney to see if I can get placed in a better start corral to boost my ego.

I'm using a modified version of a Jeff Galloway program (This one to be exact) and doing Turbo Jam on my non-running days. I'm also modifying Turbo Jam to focus mainly on my arms and core, rather than my legs.

8/23 - I walked with my mom to kick off my training. I've been running, but not consistently. I work at a summer camp and it's really just way too physically demanding for me to run on top of the stress I already put my body through daily, so I started off with a brisk 30 minute walk instead of the 45 minute run. I felt great afterward. My body was practically cheering for me it was so happy.

8/24 - A Turbo Jam day. I haven't done Turbo Jam in months. I think the last time I did was in December. For some reason, I always think I'm going to hate it. As soon as it starts and Chalene starts telling me what an awesome time I'm going to have, I remember that I actually thoroughly enjoy all 20 minutes of this workout. There are longer workouts available (I even own some of them) but the 20 minute one makes me sweat and gets my heart going, and I don't want to push myself too hard.

Today/Tomorrow I'm up for a 45 minute run. I'll be starting off my run/walk ratio at 20 seconds of running for 40 seconds of walking. I should also get some sleep, because 2am is not a good bedtime!

Now that it's the 25th....
92 days until the Half Marathon
136 days until the Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment